Tuesday, February 27, 2007

At last - a wireless coffee

I’d had a bit of bother with my ipod shuffle – I couldn’t upload any tracks - so I took it into the Apple shop, fearing the worst. No need - it's now bursting with 200 tracks (something to do with Consolidation), so I cross the road to the Strawberry Alarmclock to celebrate with a much-needed double latté.

The owner walks past my table, amazed I’m online. Yep, I’m typing this in their back garden – right now! He’s amazed because normally the internet connection here is practically non-existent – though the whole street is having routers installed next week. I don’t know exactly what that means but the result will be unbroken wireless internet on Parnell Road.

It’s quite a novelty being online outdoors. A bit like when you got your first mobile or, way back in the old days, turning the TV on and getting a picture for the first time. I almost forget to drink my coffee.

The connection's a bit slow and cuts out several times. Where are those routers when you need one?
It starts to spot with rain and I notice my battery’s running low.

Such is the downside to technology on the move. Though it was fun while it lasted.

I’ll be back.

No comments: