Friday, March 2, 2007

Happy New Year Auckland

It's the end of the Chinese New Year celebrations and in Auckland that means just one thing - its famous Lantern Festival.

Princes Street is transformed into a long strip of tents housing make-shift kitchens. Smiley faces and deft hands whip up sizzling food at top speed.


Everyone's either cooking or eating and the air is thick with wafting smells. It's all very interesting.


Fish is on everyone's menus.

There's curried fish balls in pots, lemongrass fish skewers on grills, rows of gigantic breaded prawns and fish lollipops on sticks.




I spy a bright green drink in plastic cups - I'm told it's made from basil seeds soaked in lime juice and water until they become soft and jelly-like.


I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what it tasted like.







Even if you're not hungry, there's still plenty to look at.

A larger-than-life multi-coloured zoo sits perfectly still.



It's a good place for people-watching too
too...




















1 comment:

Rae said...

This is Theresa here, I have read some of the articles. yes, they are good, at least I think so. This one is more interested me, and I laughed while I read you were still waiting for someone to tell you the taste of the green jelly drinks. It is seems that you are not brave enough to try out by yourself. You need more idears about sacrificing for your hobby in your mind.