Tuesday, December 5, 2006

An old woman and many dogs

I spotted a thin old woman trying to light a cigarette in a park in Recoleta, a smart neighbourhood in Buenos Aires.

At the same time she was also trying to hold on to several dog leads, each attached to a dog. When I asked her if they all belonged to her, she told me she was baby-sitting.

In other words, she was a professional dog-walker.

I used to walk a dog called Dot round Victoria Park in Hackney when I was a student. I can't imagine having 10 Dots to take charge of.

But this lady took it all in her stride. It looks like the one at the back got away, but no one seemed to mind.

Just after I took this picture and was walking away, I slipped and fell down a muddy verge. Luckily I managed to cushion my camera in my hand as it hit the ground so it didn't break, but the weight of my body wedged it deep into the mud and I was covered in the stuff. And in goodness knows what else.

This is where professional dog-walkers walk their dogs, after all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will you post a picture of yourself after the fall? Those of us in dreary Western Europe need to have something to cheer us up! Yes, Jennie is foot loose and fancy free discovering the world but she's also covered in poo! Seriously, I hope you're alright!

Jennie Milsom said...

Laura, thanks for your concern though sorry to disappoint - no after-fall pix avail. Will bear in mind for next time if the camera still works....