Monday, December 25, 2006

A turkey sandwich and a puncture

I've just settled back to bed with a cup of tea and a turkey sandwich on Boxing Day morning, when I hear a loud engine roaring outside the window. It's a fire engine, lights flashing.

Like a concerned neighbour, I'm out the door in a flash - but it's not an emergency. Well... not really.

What's happened is Christine, mother of Nicolas two doors down, has unwittingly reversed over broken glass and found herself with a puncture.

Firemen Vince and Steve happened to be driving by and thought she needed a hand, so did the gentlemanly thing and stopped to assist.

They've been on the Christmas night shift and had just popped out in the engine for some breakfast.

They make swift work of it - they certainly put me and Christine to shame - and the tyre's changed in minutes.

Even though they get their hands a bit dirty, it's nothing really to putting out blazing fires or rescuing cats up trees on spindly ladders.

Satisfied that all's well, I hop back indoors to my turkey sandwich.







1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hey great blog, what a fun life you have , traveling all over!
(Just bloghopping and came across your blog)